Friday, April 3, 2015

Restored German Hutch

I have a lot of furniture scouts out there helping me, and it is a good thing or I would have missed out on this beauty.  My Mom happened to drive by a garage sale and spotted this hutch.  Isn't it so beautiful and unique.   After doing a little research on this piece I found out it is from Germany and dates back to around the 1930's or 1940's.    

When we moved it into my garage I knew it was going to need a lot of work, it was falling apart as we were moving it.  But that is to be expected from a piece this old.

  I put off this hutch for over a year, mainly because I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with it.  Sometimes when I am stumped I let furniture just sit until it speaks to me, after a year it finally spoke up!  


And here she is all dolled up!





I sprayed this hutch with Mountain Hideaway by Valspar (this is an Ace Harware color)

and the details a cream color, shopping bag by Valspar to make them stand out and show off the beauty of this hutch.  

I have always wanted to put chicken wire on a hutch, I love the charm it adds to this hutch.


The original top was made out of cork, and over the years it hardened and became very brittle.  I replaced the top with pine.  I routed the edges of the new pine top and stained it with Miniwaxes Dark Walnut.  The wood tone makes this hutch so warm! 



The drawers have been lined with vintage sheet music and are fully functional.





My favorite part of this hutch is porcelain spice drawers, they are so cute and unique

Here is the translations as they are in German:

Muskat =Nutmeg 
Pfeffer = Pepper 
Zimt = Cinnamon 
Nelken = Cloves  
Griess = Semolina 
Semolina is a wheat that is used to make pasta's and cereal.

It was missing 2 drawers so I made some little drawers to go in the holes.

Behind one of the doors is also a metal box, I am not sure what it was used for, {a bread box?} but I loved the character it added so I kept it!


If you are looking for a one of a kind hutch you are in luck, it is FOR SALE!!

Asking $850

Dimensions 61 L x 21 W x 68 H

Please send me an email if you are interested!

Brooke.n.larsen@gmail.com


Linking here

4 comments:

  1. Wow this is a unique piece! You did a fabulous job on refinishing it -- so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting piece of furniture Brooke and you did a great job giving it a new life! How lucky your Mom spotted it. Love those porcelain spice drawers! I hear you re: letting a piece sit until it speaks to you (have a few of those downstairs). When they finally speak, don't you just want to dive right in?
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I congratulate you on making delicious lemonade out of these lemons. Reduce, reuse and recycle is the Earth Day mantra and your work is a shining example.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...