Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cornstarch Paint and a Buffet

I was in Kwal last week and found a gallon of "mess up" paint for $4, but it is semi gloss.  I am not a huge fan of semi gloss or gloss paint, but I loved the color so I bought it anyway, after all $4 seemed reasonable!  I had heard you could add cornstarch to paint to make paint flat, lightbulb, this was the perfect paint to experiment with, and when I say experiment this truly was.  I didn't have anything to go off of.

Here is what I did:
I added 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch to 4 oz of cold water mix until dissolved.  I then poured my semi gloss paint into a 45 oz empty cottage cheese container.  Once the paint was in the container I poured in the cornstarch mixture and stirred my paint until it was evenly distributed.   Note this will thin your paint slightly.    Make sure you stir your paint frequently!

I tried my paint on a small piece first and I loved the results!  I would say the paint went from semi-gloss to egg shell.  Which is my favorite to paint with!  

Now for my Dresser/buffet/TV Console (whatever you want it to be):

Before



After:


This buffet or dresser or TV cabinet is solid 2 inch wood.  I striped the top down, stained and waxed it. The cabinet has been distressed and waxed as well!



This piece is for sale!  Please see my furniture for sale tab for more information

TTFN

Brooke


Linking here:



4 comments:

  1. It looks amazing. I love that you took the drawer out. Well done. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great....you may have started a new trend with the cornstarch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...